Tuesday, December 12, 2006

"America, a country no older than a heartbeat"


So, since I have been here I have tried to do a bit of traveling, and really understand where I now live, the United Kingdom and a bit of Europe. Now trust me, that is a lot to accomplish in a year's time and on a YAV stipend. But I can at least start to scratch the surface, after all I am trying to have a better understanding of what it means to be part of a global community. And with Secretary General Kofi Annan, putting forth the challenge to the United States to be the leader of the United Nations, and this growing community, its only fair that I do my small share. After all "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" paraphrasing JFK. Ok so I do have good intentions of becoming a global citizen, but I also just really love to travel and see everything I can. Since its cheaper to travel from England, why not take advantage of this opportunity? Well, my latest travels took me to Rome.

When I first arrived in West Bromwich, one of the women I worked with said to me. I dont really like the States, becuase it doesnt have any culture. I had no idea what she meant by this, of course we have culture, loads of it. And then when I was in Rome I understood. Its not so much culture she was speaking of its history. Yes we have our history but not the kind that spans back way before Christ (or the commonly known error, dependng on who you talk to).

In Rome I was blown away, by the Roman forum, the colliseum, and my favorite Trevi Fountain. I mean these sturctruces had been in existance before the US was even thought of. These cultures, traditions, have roots, that I can never understand, being from a baby of a nation. It's unbelieveable and awe inspiring.


Then this feeling occured all over again when I was walking through the National Gallery in London. I mean there were paitings that I saw which were more than twice as old as the US. Its actually kind of cool if you think about it to walk on streets that have been walked on for thousands of years, that could tell a story, that we may never hear, or only partly hear. It gave me goosebumps and a whole new appreciation for being from such a young nation turned super power. I thought of all those nations that came before us, truly a humbling notion.

So, now we just have to figure out how we can all work and learn together in this modern global community, while preserving, respecting and learning from the past, yet stepping boldly into the future. In the mean time I will continue to enjoy my journey inwads, and travels outwards. Cheers for peace! Chiao!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If America is a heartbeat, we should feel for all others and do right. ym

KRC said...

Reading your blog makes me excited that I'm coming over to see you soon! I can't wait to see everything! I miss you!

kc